Wednesday, April 29, 2009

There's a chicken in my dryer!



Er... maybe not! I got more vacuum storage bags yesterday & as I was cramming stuff into them I discovered my down comforter. It's nothing fancy but I noticed that it was kind of dirty. I also noticed that the "Care of" tag said "DRY CLEAN ONLY". Not only am I a cheapskate when it comes to spending money on dry cleaning (I don't think I own anything that has to be dry cleaned anymore) BUT I HATE the smell of stuff that comes back from the dry cleaner. Nasty chemicals or something!

So.... I pre-treated the spots... stuffed it into the washer... turned on the cold water... added some bleach (yuck!)... closed the lid & let the washer work its magic! After the bleaching... (not being a good conserver of water here) I added detergent & washed it again. I was hoping today would be if not sunny, at least not raining so I could hang it on the clothesline to dry. No such luck! So... I pulled this heavy, sagging comforter out of the washer & stuffed it into the dryer... along with a couple dryer sheets... turned the heat to LOW and set the timer.

An hour later I opened the dryer...hoping to find a sparkling white comforter. Instead I was greeted by white feathers... LOTS of white feathers! At first I thought a chicken had exploded in my dryer... but after laying out the comforter on the bed to inspect it... I found a TINY hole in the corner which allowed all these feathers to escape! Looks like my down comforter has gone on a diet. Guess I'll have to dig out my sewing kit & fix that little problem.

I found this picture of a recycled clothes dryer that had been made into a chicken coop... don't ya just love creative people?

No comments:

Post a Comment